George II resurrected waster bust with a bespoke cast-iron stand, c. early 1745.
Compositionally this bust is of the unusual Mg-P-Pb type comprising soapstone, crushed silica, bone ash, lead frit, and a small addition of lime-alkali bottle glass. This waster bust is regarded by us as the first to have emerged from the kiln largely intact and consequently belongs to the pre-Culloden group of busts that we recognise. Daniels, Ramsay, and Ramsay (2013) propose that this bust was 'rescued' by John Brittain at the Bow site in early 1745 and by descent through his daughter, Miss Brittain, was acquired by William Edkins and in turn on being auction by Sotheby's on 21st-23rd April, 1874 (Lot 470) was bought by Henry Willett and now resides in the Brighton Museum and Art Gallery. Image courtesy of C. Daniels.